Preparation steps for field upgrade
Modified on: Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:28 PM
- Burn a Ubuntu Server 16.04 install DVD disc. Download the disc image from http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ For a Protel 2106 or 3510 wall mount, use the 32-bit i386 server install image. For all other Protel models, including the 3510 1u rack mount, use the 64-bit AMD64 server install image
- Obtain an internal (SATA) DVD Drive. You will need a Molex-to-SATA power adapter cable like this one:
- You will also need a SATA drive data cable like this one:
- Power down the PBX and remove the case cover. Locate an unused Molex power connector in the cable bundle coming from the power supply, and connect the DVD drive to it. Locate the SATA cable that is connecting the PBX internal hard drive to the mother board, then connect another SATA cable from the DVD drive to any open SATA port next to where the hard drive is connected. Connect a USB keyboard and a video monitor to the PBX.
- Power up the PBX, which should now also power the DVD drive. Insert the Ubuntu install disk and close the tray. Power down the PBX, then power it back up again. The PBX should automatically boot from the DVD. If you see the normal boot sequence on the monitor and not the Ubuntu install screen, you will need to adjust the BIOS to force a DVD boot. Reboot the PBX and press F2 when you see the splash screen. Navigate to boot options and select the DVD drive.
- When you see the Ubuntu install screen, you are ready to proceed. nexMatrix support will guide you through the remainder of the OS installation process.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.